Freelance reporter, producer, editor (2003 - present)
National Public Radio, Oxford Enterprise, Mississippi Center for Justice,
Creative Loafing Atlanta,
The Pulse, Chattanooga Style, mediabistro.com, Flagpole Magazine, others.
North Mississippi Bureau Reporter, Mississippi Public Broadcasting, Oxford, MS (January - September 2009)
- From bureau in Oxford, covered breaking business, health and political news for Mississippi Public Broadcasting's public radio network. Traveled across northern half of state on almost daily basis.
- Reported on public schools and higher education, including two SEC universities. Investigated social and environmental justice issues in the Delta. Examined the recession's economic impact on the region.
- Recorded, digitally edited and produced one- to two-minute daily news reports and four-minute features that aired statewide. Posted written stories, audio and digital photographs on MPB website.
- Sole reporter to utilize Twitter and other social media for newsgathering and promotional purposes.
Northwest Georgia Bureau Chief, Georgia Public Broadcasting, Rome, GA (February - August 2007)
- Managed local station, WGPB, in Rome. Wrote and delivered three local newscasts that aired during Morning Edition each morning.
- Produced daily newscast spots and weekly long-form interviews and features for Georgia Public Broadcasting's statewide public radio network. Newscast spots also aired occasionally on NPR.
- Produced two biweekly half-hour radio shows. Northwest Georgia This Week took an in-depth look at local news and happenings, while Shuffle spun the best music you've never heard.
Reporter/Columnist, Chattanooga Times Free Press, Chattanooga, TN (May 2005 - October 2006)
- Wrote 12 to 16 stories a week for four weekly sections. Covered breaking news and local governments. Profiled businesses, artists and events in several neighborhoods. Took digital photographs for all stories.
- Coordinated and edited weekly book and wine recommendations from outside contributors.
- Proofread stories and layouts when my editor was on vacation or otherwise unavailable.
- Wrote biweekly dating column for Life section of the daily newspaper; posted reader responses on blog.
- Wrote lengthy feature stories for In the City,
a quarterly arts magazine.
- Covered Greene and Morgan County governments and school boards from lakeside bureau for the weekly newspaper Lake Oconee News and its sister paper, The Eatonton Messenger. Attended and reported on meetings, policies, taxes and elections. Took own photographs with digital camera. Also profiled upcoming cultural and art events.
Reporter, WUGA, Athens, GA (August 2002 - August 2004)
- Covered university news and Athens happenings for the University of Georgia's public radio station.
- Helped with live broadcasts, including the live music show Athens
441 and the Athens literary festival.
DJ, WUOG, Athens, GA (Fall
2000 - Winter 2002)
- DJ'd rotation shift each week. Reviewed and screened CD's. Conducted live interviews with musicians.
- Hosted Blank Generation, a weekly show of underground
music from the 70's and 80's.
Yale University, New Haven, CT
- B.A. in English, September 1998
- Recipient of a Richter fellowship to study women-in-prison
movies, Summer 1997
- Mac & PC; Audition/CoolEdit, Word, Excel, Acrobat, Photoshop, NewsEdit Pro, Outlook, some HTML
Awards & Affiliations
- 2009 Mississippi AP Broadcasters Association, Second Place, Documentary or Series of Stories: "K-12 Funding Crisis"
- 2004 Georgia AP Broadcasters Association, First
Place, Best Specialized Reporting: "Poverty Simulation"
- 2003 SPJ Green Eyeshade Awards, Radio (Markets 101 and Above),
First Place, Feature: "Zoom Bait"
- 2003 Georgia AP Broadcasters Association, Second
Place, Best Use Of Sound: "Zoom Bait"
- Member, Society for Environmental Journalists (2009 -)
- Member, Yale Alumni Schools Committee (2005 -)